Out of State Residents

If you received a New York traffic ticket but have a driver license from another state, you should read this page. Our law firm is one of the few which can tell you the effect, if any, of a New York conviction on your out-of-state license as well as how to best resolve your New York case to minimize the impact on your license. Our advice varies, however, upon your unique situation.

Should You Even Fight Your New York Ticket?
The Drivers License Compact requires member states to report traffic ticket convictions imposed upon a motorist to the state where that motorist has a license to drive (home state). The purpose behind sharing this information is so that the home state can determine whether to give you points and so insurance companies can take this information into account in deciding whether to raise your rates.

However, every state is different about point transfers. For instance, a New Jersey driver who is convicted to a New York moving violation will be given 2 points by the NJ MVC regardless of how many points NY assigns to that offense (assuming NJ has a like offense) and regardless of how many points NJ would have assigned it had the offense occurred in New Jersey.

In contrast, although reported to the Pennsylvania DOT, points for a minor traffic offenses in New York, such as speeding and red light violations, will not be added to a Pennsylvania license (except for those holding a CDL license).

Therefore, before you plead guilty, call us to learn how your home state will treat a conviction to a New York traffic ticket. We maintain a comprehensive database covering the interplay between a New York conviction and other states and will free of charge give you sound advice as to whether it makes sense to fight your ticket.

What Is The Best Result For Me Based On My Situation?
Our proprietary database also helps us to obtain the best results for our out-of-state clients. Most out-of-state drivers with New York tickets want to minimize points in their home state (rather than minimize them in New York) because they do not drive in New York regularly. On the other hand, if you do drive regularly in New York, then the better strategy may be to minimize the points in both New York and your home state.

For instance, if you do not drive in New York a lot and points do not transfer to your home state, we usually recommend that you simply plead guilty and pay the fine.

Of course, our advice varies depending on your unique situation. Variables include your home state of licensure, the actual New York charge, the court in which your case is scheduled, your New York record and how frequently you drive in New York. Therefore, a telephone consultation is highly recommended.

What If I Just Ignore My New York Ticket (I’m not going back there anyway)?
Regardless of the unique rules of your home state, if you do not answer or timely appear on your ticket, New York will suspend your privilege to use your out-of-state license in New York and your home state (if part of the Compact) will suspend your license until the New York matter is cleared. So you never want to just ignore a New York ticket.

What Is The List Of Compact Member States?
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, and Wyoming.*

Call 888-RED-LIGHT (888-733-5444) for a free consultation or click here.

*Georgia, Michigan and Wisconsin will report tickets to your home state even though they are not members of the compact