Home / Traffic Tickets / How Much Does A New York Speeding Ticket Cost?

How Much Does A New York Speeding Ticket Cost?

About the Author

Matthew Weiss

Matthew J. Weiss, Esq. graduated Hofstra Law School in 1984. He was Law Review and won the law school’s prestigious Procedure Award. Upon graduation, he became one of the first Hofstra Law School graduates to work at the New York State Court of Appeals (New York State’s highest court) working on various appellate matters.

Comments (2,125)

Robert - August 28, 2016 3:18 am

Mr. Wess I did a 82/50 and it’s my first speeding violation. I am a vet but the officer still gave me my ticket

    Matthew Weiss - August 28, 2016 4:28 pm


    You should plead not guilty. This is the only way to possibly avoid the points and save on the cost.

    Matthew Weiss

Daniel - August 26, 2016 6:47 pm

I got a ticket for going 87 on a 50 mph zone. It’s my first speeding ticket but I was previously pulled over for passing a red light. The first red light I passed I didn’t get any points on my license. I also have to go to court for another issue about my windows having dark tints. It was a separate occasion, but I also plan on going to that one. What can I do about my current situation, and what if I’m unable to pay for the charges? Thanks

    Matthew Weiss - August 27, 2016 7:15 am


    The speeding ticket is an 8-point ticket that carries roughly a $300 fine plus a $450 Driver Assessment Fee (the tint ticket carries 0 points), and, if you are convicted, can lead to a suspension of your driving license or privileges. It can also adversely affect your insurance rates. We, therefore, highly recommend that you plead not guilty and fight this ticket. This the only way to possibly save points, money and avoid a possible insurance increase. IF you cannot pay the charges, then your license to drive will be suspended until you pay them. A suspension on your record can also lead to an insurance hike. My advice would be to delay it as soon as you can so you can save up to pay off your fines if you ultimately lose this case.

    Matthew Weiss

Mia miles - August 25, 2016 11:02 pm

Hello I received a speeding ticket and a stop sign ticket in the city of north tonawanda and also another speeding ticket in the city of tonawanda. What should I do my court date is August 31st and I am very scared.

    Matthew Weiss - August 26, 2016 11:24 pm

    Mia Miles,

    You are facing a lot of points so it is good that you pled not guilty. Given the seriousness of your situation, you may want to consult with (if not retain) an experienced NY traffic ticket attorney.

    Matthew Weiss

Darshana - August 22, 2016 12:58 pm


I got Speeding Ticket 81/65 in Seneca County,NY. I missed court Date I just realized and I live in Boston. The points I got is 4. What should I so?

    Matthew Weiss - August 22, 2016 10:06 pm


    Call the court ASAP and ask it if you can have a new date.

    Good luck!

    Matthew Weiss

Siddarth - August 12, 2016 9:41 pm

Hi ,

I hold a Ohio license,I got a ticket in Hancock Village,NY
For speeding 86/55 and I got 2 tickets totaling 4 points on my driving license from the past in Ohio…and the NYS officer gave me a document and said either I should plead it or defend it in person or by mail.
Please let me know if I can do anything to reduce the impact on my license and also can I heir a lawyer for this case to defend on behalf of me .


    Matthew Weiss - August 13, 2016 5:49 am


    You should plead not guilty as this is the only way to possibly save NY points, and you can hire a traffic lawyer to represent you.

    Matthew Weiss

Danny - August 11, 2016 9:23 am

I was given a speeding ticket last night 1:15 am in Bedford Hills N.Y. 53mph in a 30mph from a local cop.. ouch I know. The worst part is I drive a commercial vehicle for a living and this happen while at work in my work truck. I live/work out of CT I have a clean driving record no tickets no accidents nothing. I drive over 300miles a day for work from CT N.Y. NJ back to CT and for the past 10months same route every night never any issues. I don’t believe i was going as quick as he said I was but he said it was on radar. The speed limit flips alot from 40 to 30 and 30 to 40 throughout not sure where he was he flipped his lights on as I parked in my destination parking lot. I know this isn’t a good reason but after driving for over 2 hours I had an emergency restroom situation going down I had no other options where to stop hence my hurry down the last mile or so to my 1st stop of the night where I know for sure there’s a restroom I can use. I need your professional advice how to handle my situation. I don’t mind driving to N.Y. court or donation but Its the possible points against my license that I’m really concerned about.
Thank you sir

    Matthew Weiss - August 11, 2016 1:19 pm


    Sorry to hear about your ticket. You should plead not guilty. On your court date, you will be able to conference the case with the Bedford Hills prosecutor and likely negotiate this 6-point, NY speeding ticket down to a less serious charge. Good luck!

    Matthew Weiss

Timtohy - August 9, 2016 10:51 pm

Was doing 87 in a 55 car got hit the very same week I got the ticket didn’t realize I missed my court date until maybe 3 weeks later what should I do

    Matthew Weiss - August 10, 2016 12:06 am


    Contact the court immediately and try and get the case restored to the calendar.

    Good luck!

    Matthew Weiss

Sameer - August 9, 2016 1:55 pm

Hi Matthew,
I am from India and was driving a rental car when I received a speed violation ticket – 102/65.
Unfortunately it was on an consecutive upward-downward sloping road where I completely forgot to control my speed and by the time I started braking/reducing speed, the cop spotted me.
The problem is that I am returning back to my country in the next 2 days, so not sure as to how can I pay for this ticket as it first requires me to send this ticket to court by mail after mentioning ‘Guilty or Not Guilty’. Then the court decides the amount to pay?
Can i pay online after leaving USA, considering this would take more than 2 days to process.
Also, i was using my India driver’s license, so there is no question of points accumulation but do I have to pay the additional fees apart from the speeding fine?


    Matthew Weiss - August 10, 2016 12:17 am


    The fine amount is discretionary. However, you can also receive jail time for this 11-point speeding ticket. I suggest that you consult with (if not hire) an experienced NY traffic ticket lawyer, especially given that you’re leaving the country soon.

    Matthew Weiss

Ami - August 7, 2016 10:29 pm

Mr. Weiss,
Today I was given a ticket for driving 83 in a 65, ️on interstate 87 by Schroon town NY. I am 18 and it is my first infraction. I live 6 hours from the courthouse, and some people I talked to reccomended pleading guilty by mail. What are the options I have and which make the most sense? Thank you.

    Matthew Weiss - August 8, 2016 9:15 am


    The options are to plead guilty or not guilty. If you do not want to travel to the court, then you can retain an experienced NY traffic ticket lawyer to appear for you. I recommend that you plead not guilty as this ticket carries 4 points and can adversely affect your insurance rates.

    Matthew Weiss

Alex - August 3, 2016 12:13 am

I’m from Georgia though.. Just passing through. Also as a side hint I’m 19 years old. I’ve done research however and the points won’t transfer to ga which is good, but just curious about the cost.

    Matthew Weiss - August 3, 2016 10:01 am

    Alex, my research indicates otherwise. Specifically, points from a New York conviction WILL transfer to your Georgia license. The Georgia DMV will assess the amount of points that would have been assessed if the violation occurred in Georgia. The one exception is for a New York speeding ticket of 1-14 mph over the limit. These low speeding tickets do not carry points in Georgia and, therefore, will not transfer. Otherwise, we recommend that you fight this speeding ticket. Further, the conviction will be reported to the Georgia DMV and therefore your insurance company can learn about it. We therefore recommend that you speak with your insurance company if you are thinking about pleading guilty to this ticket.

    Also, the approximate fine for a speeding ticket is around $200 (assuming it is less than 21 mph over the limit).

    Matthew Weiss

Alex - August 2, 2016 10:01 pm

Hey there,

So this was my first speeding ticket, I was on the I-85 going 82/65 just wondering what my ticket is going to be like when I mail it in. Thanks

    Matthew Weiss - August 2, 2016 11:16 pm


    You should plead not guilty to this 4-point speeding ticket. If you do, you (or your NY traffic lawyer) can likely get this reduced to a less serious charge.

    Matthew Weiss

1 46 47 48

Leave a Comment

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>