Home / Traffic Tickets / Why Fight A New York Speeding Ticket

Why Fight A New York Speeding Ticket

About the Author

Matthew Weiss

Matthew J. Weiss, Esq. graduated Hofstra Law School in 1984. He was Law Review and won the law school’s prestigious Procedure Award. Upon graduation, he became one of the first Hofstra Law School graduates to work at the New York State Court of Appeals (New York State’s highest court) working on various appellate matters.

Comments (969)

Karen A - April 21, 2017 8:47 am

If you plead not guilty to a speeding ticket ( 70 in a 50 staten island exp just after the bridge)
can you change your mind before the court date and just pay it

    Matthew Weiss - April 21, 2017 11:36 pm

    Karen A,

    Yes, you can only change your mind and plead guilty.

    Matthew Weiss

Ralph - April 14, 2017 8:52 pm

If fighting speeding tickets in the five Boroughs is virtually useless Mr Weiss why the hell are you here then if practically all tickets are guilty in their eyes 👀 you should be practicing law where people will hire you since they have a chance at winning or at least getting a deal. Seems to me like the TVB successfully has circumvented the constitution by eliminating the guilty plea without actually eliminating it . This is not right and the reason why people do not respect cops. It sends a strong message that cops 👮 are infallible when in fact they are not. Money always rules in traffic courts and it’s so wrong.

    Matthew Weiss - April 15, 2017 12:08 am


    It is hard fighting traffic tickets in NYC but not “virtually useless”. Despite losing many cases, we do win cases a relatively large number of cases too. I agree that it is an unfair system and needs changing. In fact, I have written about the needed reforms for years.

    Matthew Weiss

Guillermo - March 31, 2017 8:46 pm

What are the odd of beating a speeding ticket going 15 MPH over the speed limit?

    Matthew Weiss - April 1, 2017 12:30 am


    I cannot provide odds. Sorry.

    Matthew Weiss

A. G. - March 31, 2017 5:46 pm

Mr Weiss,

Driving in the Bronx I made a left from the main road on the Grand Concourse onto 183rd then a second left onto the service road. There was a no U turn sign that I thought only applied to the main road. An officer pulled me over & gave me a ticket with a fine & 3 point violation for not obeying the posted sign. Is this worth fighting by explaining to the judge that the main road & service roads are separate streets? My driving record is clean.

A. G.

    Matthew Weiss - April 1, 2017 12:32 am


    Without seeing photos of the intersection, it is impossible to answer your question. With that said, it is very hard to beat any traffic ticket in the Traffic Violations Bureau because they do no make deals. Further, you apparently made a U-turn in violation of the sign (regardless of which road you made it into).


    Matthew Weiss

Juan - March 31, 2017 6:35 am

I was doing 40mph on a 25 crossing through central park. Is it possible if anything pay the ticket but not receiving any points? I’m a tlc driver so I don’t want it to affect my ability to work!

    Matthew Weiss - March 31, 2017 3:26 pm


    It is not possible to pay a fine but get no points for your NYC speeding ticket. In NYC, they do not plea bargain or make deals.

    Matthew Weiss

Angela A. - March 28, 2017 3:17 pm

I received a ticket in Tarrytown, NY. The officer said I was going 45 on a 30. He said he changed it from 15 down to 12 and he recommended that I plead guilty to avoid the deposition. What should i do?

    Matthew Weiss - March 28, 2017 10:54 pm

    Angela A,

    The 15 to 12 reduction does nothing for you. It is still a 4-point speeding ticket and alone cannot affect your insurance rates.

    I would plead not guilty and try to negotiate it down further. Good luck!

    Matthew Weiss

Ricardo Purandat - March 27, 2017 12:19 am

I got a ticket going 86 in a 45 in ny state, bqe , what are my options??

    Matthew Weiss - March 27, 2017 8:03 am

    Ricardo Purandat,

    Your options are to plead guilty or not guilt. I strongly recommend the latter as this is a very serious ticket which could result in your suspension. Also, it is the only way to possibly save points and money.

    Matthew Weiss

Jason - March 26, 2017 6:11 pm

Dear Matthew,

I received a ticket for doing 72 in a 50mph zone, although I don’t have a clean history. I’ve had no violation in at leaat the past 5 years. What are my options?
Also in the state of NJ they have a zero point violation, where you can pay an extra fees but not have points added to your record, does the state of NY also do this?


    Matthew Weiss - March 26, 2017 9:47 pm


    Your options are to plead guilty and pay it, or plead not guilty and fight it at a hearing.

    Matthew Weiss

Chris - March 24, 2017 6:54 pm

My wife got a speeding ticket going 55 in a 35 due to a lack of noticing the change. The ticket was written for 45 in 35 due to some compassion from the officer. She has had no previous infractions. Is it wise to plead not guilty to the ticket? This was in Syracuse by a NYS trooper.

    Matthew Weiss - March 24, 2017 10:35 pm


    Given that the officer gave her a break already, I doubt that you’ll get another one. Further, a 10 mph over speeding ticket is a minor ticket. She could pay this one and not worry too much (given her otherwise clean record).

    Matthew Weiss

Charles I. - March 7, 2017 8:12 am

Dear sir.
I just got a speeding ticket in NY with a PA license. 77 over a 50MPH zone. It showes 1180 D violation.. First, I can’t say for sure that I saw a speed limit sign coming out of the Verrazano bridge. Second, I have a clean record and definitely would like to keep it that way… I’ve read no points if you have PA drivers license??? Thank you..

    Matthew Weiss - March 7, 2017 10:07 am

    Charles I,

    Your failure to see a sign is unhelpful. You should re-trace your route and scan of signage. If there were no signs, then successive photos showing the stretch of roadway would be helpful for your hearing.

    If you are convicted of this ticket (or plead guilty), then NYS will impose 6 points, roughly a $200 fine and a $300 Driver Assessment Fee. The points will be put onto your NYS record. However, no points will transfer onto your PA record (although this ticket could negatively impact your PA insurance rates).

    Matthew Weiss

Daniella - March 7, 2017 12:26 am

I received a ticket for doing 87 in a 65mph zone on 84 west bound by east fishkill. This is my first ever violation and I pleaded not guilty. Will it be possible to get this ticket reduced?

    Matthew Weiss - March 7, 2017 7:25 am


    Yes, the Fishkill traffic court will likely offer you a reduction to your 6-point speeding ticket. Dress decent and be polite when you meet with the prosecutor.

    Matthew Weiss

Latika - March 4, 2017 12:45 pm

I receive a speeding summons and the speed limit was 30 I was doing 43 and also they gave me a summons for driving with permit what should I do .

    Matthew Weiss - March 4, 2017 5:41 pm


    You should plead not guilty as this is the only way to possibly obtain a more favorable outcome.

    Matthew Weiss

A.T. - March 3, 2017 5:30 pm

Dear Matthew Weiss,
I received a ticket on the Taconic for 78 in a 55 in the town of Milan, Dutchess County. I have a MA license which is 100% clean. I sent my plea in Not Guilty. I have been told that Milan does NOT offer a plea deal at the pre-trial conference appearance (although I have been told I am required to appear) but that they WILL offer me a plea deal as standard procedure on my trial date right before trial. Is this true? If so, when the DA meets with me before the trial should I simply ask for the reduction I want (for example, for the 1180B I received to be changed to a 1110A)? Thank you in advance for your advice. I really appreciate it.

    Matthew Weiss - March 3, 2017 6:42 pm


    In my opinion, you should allow the prosecutor to make the initial offer. He or she likely will make you the 1110a offer anyway (especially given your clean record) and it is more respectful.

    Matthew Weiss

1 21 22 23

Leave a Comment

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>