Effective today (August 6th), the following three high-risk intersections will be equipped with active red light cameras:
Fines for running these red lights will be $50 each and, once all 20 initial cameras are activated are expected to generated $20 million per year. The good news is that this type of ticket is NOT a moving violation and carries 0 points. The bad news is that they are near impossible to fight. Absent a mechanical problem, a medical issue or a stolen vehicle, there are no defenses. As they say, the camera doesn’t lie.
I actually got once of these tickets in New York City and decided to fight it. Looking at the black and white photo, it was hard to discern whether the light was red or yellow. Well, after a long wait, I made my case to the judge and he simply pulled up the original, color photograph associated with my ticket, zoomed in, and showed me a bright red light. Result: Guilty and a waste of over an hour.
The following is the complete list of the first 20 red light cameras which all will be activated by September 1, 2009.
- Baldwin – Grand Avenue & Merrick Road – EB & WB
- Baldwin – Merrick Road & Milburn Avenue – SB & NB
- Bellmore – Bellmore Avenue & Merrick Road – EB & WB
- Bellmore – Bellmore Avenue & Newbridge Road – SB & NB
- Bethpage – Stewart Avenue & Central Avenue – EB & WB
- East Meadow – Merrick Avenue & Glenn Curtiss Boulevard – SB & NB
- East Rockaway – Atlantic Avenue & Ocean Avenue – WB & EB
- Hicksville – Old Country Road & Hicksville Road – SB & NB
- Hicksville – Old Country Road & Jerusalem Avenue – WB & NB
- Hicksville/Plainview – Old Country Road & South Oyster Bay Road – SB & EB
- Inwood/Lawrence – Austin Boulevard & Empire Boulevard/Long Beach Road – NEB & SWB
- Inwood/Lawrence – Nassau Expressway & Rockaway Turnpike – NB & NEB
- Levittown – Wantagh Avenue & Old Jerusalem Road – SB & NB
- Massapequa – Merrick Road & Park Boulevard – EB &WB
- Merrick – Merrick Road & Merrick Avenue – EB & WB
- Oceanside – Atlantic Avenue & Lawson Boulevard – SB & NB
- Oceanside – Long Beach Road & Daly Boulevard – SB & NB
- Oceanside – Long Beach Road & Mott Street – SB & NB
- Uniondale – SB & NB Earle Ovington Boulevard & Charles Lindbergh Boulevard EB
- Woodmere – Woodmere Boulevard & Peninsula Boulevard – NE & SW