Home / Traffic Tickets / The Driver Responsibility Assessment Fee

The Driver Responsibility Assessment Fee

About the Author

Matthew Weiss

Matthew J. Weiss, Esq. graduated Hofstra Law School in 1984. He was Law Review and won the law school’s prestigious Procedure Award. Upon graduation, he became one of the first Hofstra Law School graduates to work at the New York State Court of Appeals (New York State’s highest court) working on various appellate matters.

Comments (163)

Josh - April 19, 2017 4:26 pm

I received dra 2yrs ago and paid it. Last yr i over paid and ny sent me 2 checks for 475 total now this yr they have sent me a bill for 650 but ive gotten no new points. So I took the paper they sent me to the court I got the tickets and they were reduced to parking tickets NO points. But in the dmv computer Its speeding tickets so not only am I getting screwed by my my insurance uses same info and my insurance is outrageous for points the court says I don’t even have who can I contact to get this resolved because there is no number to contact dra?

    Matthew Weiss - April 19, 2017 9:59 pm


    It sounds like you need to go back to the court and have them correct your results so that DMV has it correctly (i.e., reduced to parking tickets as opposed to moving violations).

    Good luck!

    Matthew Weiss

jacques jolicoeur - April 4, 2017 10:11 pm

i just got convicted in traffic court for a portable device violation, 5 points.. i have never been ticketed for drug/alcohol related offenses.. however during the lifetime of my license, i have had 2 speeding tickets back in 2001 that resulted in a 30 days suspension, then there after i have had a few tickets for disobey device , failure to yield. and most recently the electronic device issue, which will trigger a lifetime review. will i get suspended, revoke ?

    Matthew Weiss - April 5, 2017 6:29 pm

    jacques jolicoeur,

    Given the age of your other convictions, I doubt that this recently portable device conviction, alone, will affect your license.

    Matthew Weiss

Nirit - March 31, 2017 2:57 pm

Hi. I got a speeding ticket this January which I paid. Now I got a bill of from. DRAF for an additional $600. My question is. The violation of the first one is a later date than the actual conviction date. I don’t remember getting a speeding ticket on that date. I have been trying to get some info to see if this is a valid violation and I have been unsuccessful. I will go ahead and pay or else it is a suspension but isn’t there a way to verify violations.

    Matthew Weiss - March 31, 2017 3:33 pm


    You should obtain an updated copy of your driving record so you can review your conviction history. Most likely you’ll see that the DMV is correct in its calculations but, at least, you’ll sleep better knowing.

    Matthew Weiss

Donald walker - March 31, 2017 3:21 am

I made mistake in my past due to issues I had and it’s been 12 years since my dumb thing I did and now trying to be a legal and safe individual on the roads my life has changed and I never knew about the fee and now I have a chance to get a job and work but oh no license can’t work but they want $$$$$$$$$$$$ I don’t have and I have a Arizona license that is before I moved here and they don’t take payment that I had to pay 750$ to have them release my card so I can reinstate Arizona but New York has a sespension I never knew about till now 12 years later I need to get a pro bono lawyer and go see a judge so I can better my American life and support my family how does your state get away with charging us American in our country this kinda money scam I’m not pleased I was told statue limitations runs out after ten years no way this can be free America when u have to fight to struggle what a lame way to be proud Americans ok made a violation but no one was hurt and pray everyday that I’m changing my life for the better but this is blocking my mojo I have a job waiting for me but I don’t have a surprise about the fee 750$ I don’t have and I might loose the job offer if I can’t get the money

    Matthew Weiss - March 31, 2017 3:27 pm

    Donald Walker,

    No magic answer for you. If you owe NYS the money, then you’ll have to pay it before your suspension(s) will be lifted.

    Matthew Weiss

joe Murphy - March 24, 2017 1:38 pm

DO I have to pay my DRA, if i have already moved out of state to Delaware and changed my license to Delaware? After reading other comments, im pretty sure you said, YES, you will. Can I fight this in anyway, possibly hire a NY lawyer cause in the long run I could save, considering they can bill me DRA tax until the tickets fall off my records? Thoughts? Please advise. Thanks

    Matthew Weiss - March 24, 2017 10:33 pm

    joe Murphy,

    You must be your DRAF even if you moved out-of-state. I you don’t you will be suspended in NY and eventually Delaware will honor that suspension. The only way to avoid or save the DRAF is by getting your tickets reduced or dismissed. Once you’ve been convicted, there is nothing which you can do to save the DRAF amount.

    Matthew Weiss

Jillian Johnson - March 21, 2017 6:47 pm

The points were accrued back in 2014 conviction 2015. I was given 3yrs to pay DRA now received my final bill.
I just checked my abstract and on it shows my points 11. I did do defensive course in 2015 after my conviction.
I want to apply for insurance but scared that the points will affect my premium.
Pls advise how I can maybe remove the conviction and or the points.
Or how would i know exactly how many points I really do have.

    Matthew Weiss - March 21, 2017 8:35 pm

    Jillian Johnson,

    There is nothing which you can do to “remove” a conviction. Taking the Driver Safety Class, however, will deduct up to 4 points from your total (but will not affect your liability for the DRAF).

    Matthew Weiss

Jillian Johnson - March 21, 2017 4:35 pm

It’s been more than months and my points have not been reduced. I’ve even done defensive driving course which is noted on my abstract.
I have the final DRA fee to make this month.
How can i get my points reduced?

    Matthew Weiss - March 21, 2017 5:57 pm

    Jillian Johnson,

    You do not need to do anything. Your points that are 18 months old (or older) no longer count vis-a-vis future tickets.

    Matthew Weiss

Monique - March 21, 2017 4:11 pm

Plaese help I have a few questions.
My husband received a speeding ticket March 2017 with 6 points against him. How much will his DRAF be 300 or 350?
He already has 4 points against him from a previous speeding ticket.
Is there some sort of scale as to if you get a ticket for this or that its x points against you?
Sorry for so many questions we just moved to NY not that long ago.
Thank you

    Matthew Weiss - March 21, 2017 5:58 pm


    Answers in bold below:

    My husband received a speeding ticket March 2017 with 6 points against him. How much will his DRAF be 300 or 350? $600 due to having 10 total points
    He already has 4 points against him from a previous speeding ticket.
    Is there some sort of scale as to if you get a ticket for this or that its x points against you? It is $300 for 6 points and $75 for each point thereafter.

    Matthew Weiss

Jillian - March 17, 2017 5:34 pm


I have 1 more payment left to make for DRA what happens next to the points accumulated? Got 11 points for Speeding. Never had an infraction prior.

    Matthew Weiss - March 17, 2017 10:20 pm


    Your points will only remain active for 18 months from the date of offense. They will not count vis-a-vis new points occurring after 18 months (or later).

    Matthew Weiss

jamaal - March 15, 2017 10:41 am

2/23/14 I got pulled over in long island NY. Police said that they “observed” me going 67 mph in a 55, No radar gun no nothing.I pleaded not guilty to the ticket but did not receive anything in the mail about a court date. Recently I got a driver responsibility assessment letter in the mail stating that i was convicted 2/13/17 .Now i am trying to pay the assessment fee because i don’t want my license suspended but, when i put the information in online it is saying that i don’t owe any assessment fee…. Now I’m stuck and confused

    Matthew Weiss - March 15, 2017 11:50 am


    It sounds like you missed your court date and were found guilty by default. You need to try to vacate the default to remove this conviction form your record and avoid the Driver Assessment Fee.

    In regard to the letter and your inability to pay the fee, this is weird. My best guess is that you entered the wrong info.

    Matthew Weiss

Bradley - February 15, 2017 12:23 pm

I recently got s fine for speeding in NY State.
I paid the fine but I have now received a follow up letter asking for the driver responsibility assement fee.
HOWEVER- I am a U.K. citizen and I hold a British driving license.

Am I obligated to pay this fee and what’s the worst case situation if I don’t?
Can my license/ insurance be affected in the U.K. Will I be banned from future driving in the US?
Could I be taken to court?


    Matthew Weiss - February 16, 2017 7:20 am


    You should pay the fee. Even thought you did not receive a bill (which could e due to the fact that you live abroad), you can most likely find it by visiting the Driver Responsibility Assessment Fee Page on the DMV’s website. If you do not pay it, your license will be suspended in NY and other states will honor that suspension (until cleared). I doubt that you will be sued or that it affect you in the UK, however.

    Matthew Weiss

Victor R - February 7, 2017 5:37 am

I Have 8 points on my driving record i been paying DRA for 2 years one more payment left
tickets date op mv port dev violation 07/26/2014 convicted 08/07/2014
fail to yield row ped violation 10/24/2015 convicted 11/08/2015
accident prevention course completed on 05/23/2016
my question is how many points are been considered on my case if i apply for a job as a comercial driver

    Matthew Weiss - February 7, 2017 9:15 am


    I cannot tell you how many points your prospective employer will count. However, for DMV purposes, you currently have 3 points less the Driver Safety Class giving you 0 points. Of course, your prospective employer may count back more than 18 months. If it does, then you have 4 points (8 minus 4).

    Matthew Weiss

Jake L - February 1, 2017 11:07 pm

So this is a rather complicated case. I’ll start off by saying I’m 22 years old and I’ve been driving for 5 years. When I was 17 I took the drivers ed course to obtain my class D license with no restrictions. My first ticket was in 2012. I payed the ticket and got off easy since it was my first time. During the same year i ended up getting another ticket for driving 10 mph over the speed limit in the city which has a 25mph speed limit. I took it as a joke, and this is where it all began. I never responded to the ticket. From 2012-2015 I received more tickets, mostly speeding. By some miracle, my license did not become suspended until mid 2015. I finally wanted to do something about it and make things right. So i gathered all those tickets, and went to court and was assigned a lawyer by the court. I don’t think I had a fair trial, I didn’t even say a word in court. I felt that the lawyer was doing the court a favor rather than helping me. The end result: my license was revoked because I accumulated 30 points, within a week i would say. These tickets were from a span of 36 months.. They all hit me at once. I know it’s my fault for not dealing with this earlier. After I paid off my tickets which were about 8,000$!, I was broke. I used up all my savings. I’m independent and don’t rely on my parents. After paying for the tickets, I was assured everything will be ok. I moved to Europe where I’m currently studying. My brother told me that a driver responsibility assessment letter came in the mail, for 2,800$. To my knowledge, I know I will not be able to apply for my license if this fee is not paid. I do not have the money, I am unemployed. What does the DMV do if i can not pay this assessment. My case is unique. My license was suspended for a period of 18months. I plan on returning to the United States in June and applying for a license. I cannot stress enough that I have already paid between 8-9,000$ for tickets. On top of this I need to pay 2,800$? Will the DMV really demand this from an unemployed student who has waited out the suspension period already and paid for the tickets? Is there any way to fight this. Please help! I really appreciate the info.

    Matthew Weiss - February 2, 2017 3:55 am

    Jake L,

    You question is “Will the DMV really demand this [$2,800 for the Driver Assessment Fee] from an unemployed student who has waited out the suspension period already and paid for the tickets?” You also write that you’re situation is unique in that that you already paid $8,000-9,000 and waited out the suspension period.

    You situation is actually not unique or complicated. DMV has no mercy. You owe the money and it will require to you to pay before you can get your driving privileges reinstated.


    Matthew Weiss

Ebone Stout - January 31, 2017 10:19 pm

I had an old speeding ticket driving in NY that, I didn’t know I had til I relocated to another state, and when I tried to apply for a license in that state that’s how I found out, but I can’t seem to get thru to Albany or to Queens so that I can pay this online.

Its from 2004 or 2005, but I want to pay this off, but don’t know who to call, or where to start online…. Any suggestions please. Happy New Year !!!

Mark - January 27, 2017 8:40 am

I moved to NC and have an unpaid 750 DRA from NYS 2011 that I plan on finally paying next week. Is it possible to not pay it and be able to get a drivers license or is it mandatory no matter what?


    Matthew Weiss - January 27, 2017 7:06 pm


    You need to pay it. If you do not, NY will issue a suspension and NC will (eventually) honor it.

    Matthew Weiss

Edmund Abbott - January 18, 2017 4:56 pm

Good Evening, I am being charged with a failure to blow DRA, however my case was dismissed after 22 months. Do I still have to pay the DRA seeing my case was dismissed?

    Matthew Weiss - January 18, 2017 10:36 pm

    Edmund Abbott,

    The DRAP is not based on your refusal hearing results but rather it is based on being convicted of driving while intoxicated or driving while impaired. It sounds like you were billed the DRAP because you were convicted of one of these charges. If you were so convicted, then you have your answer.

    Matthew Weiss

Johnny J - December 9, 2016 9:37 pm

So i have missed my payment. Now i am wondering what will happen since i missed my assessment pay date by like 5 months. But i was broke and now i can pay. I have 10 points and i receive some piece of paper saying something about $651 i have to pay. It was for speeding and insurance lasps. I am wondering will i have to pay the full amount or can i still make the yearly payments. Please help i need it and i cant find this answer anywhere.

    Matthew Weiss - December 10, 2016 7:05 am

    Johnny J,

    Since you missed your Driver Responsibility Assessment Fee payment, you are likely suspended. If so, you will need to pay it as well as a $70 Suspension Termination Fee before you can drive.

    Matthew Weiss

Jenniffer.j - November 20, 2016 12:09 am

I have 7 points on my license and 10 more are coming from 5 xtra ticket from officer $375 included the surcharge!! I’m planning to pay!
Im taking a defensive course online trying to clean point on my license! I’m been driving for 1year in ny! What to do?

    Matthew Weiss - November 20, 2016 11:15 am


    I never use all cops but DON’T PAY THOSE 5 TICKETS! Your best bet is to fight them as you likely can save points and avoid a suspension. If you pay them, and end up with 17 points, you will be suspended. Even if you take the Driver Safety Class, this will only get you down to 13 and you will still likely be suspended. Fighting the 5 tickets is clearly your best bet!

    Matthew Weiss

Joshua Beach - October 28, 2016 5:45 pm

I too just received a bill for $375. I haven’t had a ticket since 2006, and just received a bill from DMV. This is just complete BS.

    Matthew Weiss - October 29, 2016 7:13 am

    Joshua Beach,

    I’m pretty sure that this bill is for the Driver Responsibility Assessment Fee. It sounds like you given 7 points back around 2006.

    We often seen belated bills when someone currently is found guilty (or pleads guilty) to an old ticket (usually one for which they were suspended). In that case, the DMV retroactively goes back to calculate the points and, if they total 6+, you get a bill.

    Run your driving record to check if this doesn’t sound familiar.

    Matthew Weiss

Taylor H - July 15, 2016 4:51 pm

Hi Matthew,

I, like Alex N in this comment section, received 6 pts in 17 months from 2006-2008. Eight years later I am just receiving a notification that I have 1 month from the date they printed the letter (not even from when I received it) to produce at least $100 minimum payment. From what I’ve read it looks like there is no recourse, you just pay and wallow in your anger… Having to pay a penalty eight years later doesn’t make you a safer driver. I don’t have any violations since 2008, but paying the penalty now doesn’t make me a safer driver in the past… it would have been effective if I had gotten a notice after the first 4 points, or even after it was too late in 2008 with 6 points. What office or government official would be appropriate to address a letter to about the DRA program/policy? If they feel like the point system and traffic tickets are not enough, why not stiffen those laws? Why add a fee that they can send you at any point in your life going forward for something that may have happened a decade or more ago?

    Matthew Weiss - July 16, 2016 6:58 am

    Taylor H,

    Answers in bold.

    What office or government official would be appropriate to address a letter to about the DRA program/policy? DMV, the Governor and your local state politicians.

    If they feel like the point system and traffic tickets are not enough, why not stiffen those laws? It’s really a tax to help NYS collect more money.

    Why add a fee that they can send you at any point in your life going forward for something that may have happened a decade or more ago? It wasn’t designed to be billed so belated. Your case is an example of inefficient enforcement.

    Matthew Weiss

1 2 3 4

Leave a Comment

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>